The first national architecture fraternity, Alpha Rho Chi was founded with the union of two local architecture societies, Arcus Society (est. 1911) of the University of Illinois and Sigma Upsilon (est. 1910) of the University of Michigan.
After corresponding with other schools of architecture, the two societies first made contact in February 1914. Arcus and Sigma Upsilon soon agreed to hold a conference at the Hotel Sherman in Chicago. On April 11 their respective delegates, Leo M. Bauer and Chandler C. Cohagen, agreed on the name “Alpha Rho Chi,” founding the new fraternity.