Charles Burchard Professional Fund
Burchard Grants support professional events.
The Alpha Rho Chi Foundation provides grants from the Charles Burchard Fund to support educational and professional events such as lectures, workshops, or training. These grants are available to APX chapters, colonies, and alumni associations as well as to students in architecture and the allied arts.
In 2018, the APX Foundation plans to award $1,500 in grants. Typical grants range from $100 to $350. Larger grant requests will be considered. Amounts of grants may be related to event need and currently available funds.
About Charles Burchard
Charles Burchard was a nationally-recognized architectural educator and founding dean of Virginia Tech’s College of Architecture and Urban Studies. A member of Alpha Rho Chi, he served as the fraternity’s Worthy Grand Architect. The fund was named to honor the legacy of Burchard and his “New Horizons” program to expand the professional leadership of APX. In the photo, Burchard appears with I.M. Pei in 1981 on the occasion of Pei being named Master Architect of the fraternity.
Eligible educational/professional events
Burchard Grants fund eligible expenses for professional or educational events, such as:
- Professional speaker or lecture expenses, including speaker fees and transportation, equipment and room rentals
- Group admission fees for museums
- Panel discussions and receptions
- Training materials for workshops
- Gallery display materials
- Design competition expenses, including public relations
Purely fraternal or social events are not eligible for funding. Events unlikely to receive grants include alumni or student pure-networking events, road trips to social events, and sports-oriented events.
How to apply
Chapters, colonies, and alumni associations may apply via the MemberPlanet form.
Submit your application at least 30 days in advance of the event.
Email email@example.com with inquires about submitted applications.
The APX Foundation wants to know what you have planned. Here are some typical expectations for grant recipients:
Before the Event
- Prepare a budget for planned expenses to submit with application.
- Submit the application.
- Once approved, list the APX Foundation as a sponsor on PR materials.
During the Event
- Mention the Alpha Rho Chi Foundation as a sponsor.
- Take photographs.
- Keep count of attendees.
After the Event
- Provide copies of receipts.
- Send copies of event photos and promotional materials for the APX Foundation to use in publicity.
- Submit a brief description of the event impact and benefits.